Seattle: OL Reign break NWSL attendance record
⚽️Soccer: Yesterday’s Cascadia rivalry doubleheader started off with a bang courtesy of Megan Rapinoe, who scored in OL Reign’s 2–1 victory over the league-leading Portland Thorns. Who reigns supreme?
- There were 27,248 fans (an NWSL attendance record!) at Lumen Field — the Reign’s usual home field of Cheney Stadium has a capacity of 6,500. Our hearts are so full.
- Unfortunately, the Sounders couldn’t follow up with a win of their own, falling 2–0 to the Portland Timbers. Next time.
🏀Storm: Are our defending champs...okay? The Storm lost to the Chicago Sky by 32 points yesterday: the worst regular-season home loss in team history. Eek.
- Since returning from the Olympic break, the 18-10 Storm have dropped five of eight, including the last three. Just speculating, but we have to wonder if our squad is .
⚾️Mariners: The Mariners’ plummeted these last few days as they lost the first three games of their series against the Kansas City Royals. At least the M’s avoided a sweep, securing a 4–3 win yesterday, in which third baseman Kyle Seager smashed his career-best of the season. Congrats, Seags.
- Up next? The American League West–leading Houston Astros are in town for a three-game series starting tonight at 10:10 p.m. ET/7:10 p.m. PT.
New York City: Underwhelming preseason performances for Jets and Giants
🏈NFL: Even with most of their starters making an appearance, the Giants closed out their preseason with a 22–20 loss to the New England Patriots last night. As for the Jets, they tied the Philadelphia Eagles 31–31, finishing their preseason Friday. Underwhelming.
⚾️MLB: After winning 13 straight games — the team’s longest streak since 1985 — the Yankees lost back-to-back bouts against the Oakland Athletics this weekend, including yesterday’s 3–1 loss. Even though they split the series 2-2, fans are still feeling about the red-hot Bronx Bombers.
- Over in Queens, the Mets beat the Washington Nationals 9–4 for the 2-1 series win yesterday. Sunday run day.
🏀On the court, the Liberty lost to the Phoenix Mercury again on Friday, falling 80–64. The Libs are now ranked No. 8 in the WNBA, so if they continue their skid they’ll likely lose out on the playoffs. *crosses fingers*
Philadelphia: Penn State Women's Soccer off to a great start
🏈Eagles: ICYMI, the Eagles tied the NY Jets 31–31 in the Birds’ final preseason game on Friday. Most starters sat out to avoid unnecessary injury and to allow the coaches to watch backups perform before they make final roster decisions. Fingers crossed for .
- Over the weekend, the Eagles for Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback (QB) Gardner Minshew, adding a third QB to the depth chart. The Birds were going to pick up another QB anyway, and getting one with starting experience is a bonus. Hot seat: .
- ⚽️Penn State women’s soccer beat Hofstra 2–1 yesterday to improve their record to 3-0, and the men’s team opened with a draw with George Mason on Thursday before winning over Syracuse yesterday.
- 🏐The Nittany Lions’ women’s volleyball team is 2-1 after on Saturday, and 🏑field hockey earned their yesterday. WE ARE impressed.
- 🚨We need you! We’ll be covering major college news in Philly, but we want to know what local schools and sports you want covered. Respond to this email to let us know.
Washington D.C.: Mystics make push for final playoff spot
⚾️Nationals: The Nats lost 9–4 to the NY Mets yesterday, but there’s good news on the horizon. Catcher Keibert (pronounced KAY-ber) Ruiz — the who was in July — will make his Nat debut tonight at 7:05 p.m. ET against the Philadelphia Phillies. Intrigued.
🏀Mystics: Saturday’s 76–75 win over the Dallas Wings was huge for the Mystics as they erased an 18-point deficit to stay in the hunt for the eighth and final playoff spot. In the Elena Delle Donne and Tina Charles, Natasha “clutch” Cloud stepped up and scored 21 points, all in the second half.
- The Mystics take on the league-leading Connecticut Sun tomorrow at 7 p.m. ET. Buckle up.
⚽️Spirit: The Spirit’s (SGs) took center stage yesterday as the team played to a scoreless draw with the North Carolina Courage. A Spirit SG was told to their “Sell the team, Steve” sign, referring to majority owner Steve Baldwin’s in recent weeks. The SGs were undeterred and for the final minutes of the game.
Seattle: Megan Rapinoe plays key role in latest OL Reign win
- Securing a top-two spot is crucial as the teams receive in the playoffs, while the third and fourth spots only receive first-round byes.
- With seven regular season games left, including tomorrow’s clash with the Minnesota Lynx at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT, every win matters. Let’s get this bread.
⚾️Mariners: The Mariners redeemed themselves big time yesterday, defeating the Houston Astros 6–3 in extra innings after being blown out the previous two contests. Infielder Ty France notched an in the 11th inning before third baseman Kyle Seager hammered a to secure the W. That’s more like it.
⚽️Soccer: Saturday was all about the late-game heroics. Megan Rapinoe converted two to lift OL Reign to a 3–2 win over NJ/NY Gotham FC and the Sounders scored to claim a 2–1 victory over Columbus Crew. Comeback kids.