One more thing!
You’re a GISTer!
The GIST is more fun with friends. Check out our GISTfluencer referral program to see the rewards you can earn by sharing The GIST.
BTW! We just sent you an email. If you don't see it, it might be hiding in your spam, junk or promotions folder. Feel free to add us to your address book to ensure our newsletter finds you every single time.
See What GISTers are Saying About Us
I am a sports fan and it's so hard to find a female voice, or a sense of feminine agency in the sports world (unless you dig deep). Really excited to be apart of this community and conversation!
So grateful I’ve found this company. It’s great to get sports information and highlights in a way that is empowering and doesn’t make me feel inadequate for not knowing.
The GIST is the first thing that I read on Monday and Thursday mornings. It's hands down my favourite newsletter... and I'm a newsletter person!
U.S. Olympic Swimming and Track & Field Teams Take Shape
🏊♀️Swimming: After a week of qualifying action, the Olympic swimming team is set. To no one’s surprise, mermaid Katie Ledecky will compete in four events, including the debut of the 1500m women’s freestyle.
- She’ll be joined by Simone Manuel, who won yesterday’s 50m freestyle after an unexpected loss in the 100m freestyle. Don’t call it a comeback. In other news, for Ryan Lochte.
🏃♂️Track & Field: We’re only three days in to the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, and have been set and . And even though yesterday was Father’s Day, it was a mom who stole the show: Allyson Felix made her fifth Olympic team, finishing second in the 400m. A national treasure.
🏀NBA Conference Finals have Officially Begun
Eastern Conference: The Milwaukee Bucks overcame Brooklyn Net Kevin Durant’s (including to send things to overtime) to win Saturday’s Game 7. The Bucks will now appear in their first conference finals since 2019 and are potentially en route to ending a 47-year (!!!) finals appearance drought.
- To get there, they’ll have to defeat the Atlanta Hawks, who eliminated the Philadelphia 76ers with yesterday’s 103–96 Game 7 win. was the difference maker, leading the Hawks with 27 points...just like we all predicted?
Western Conference: Over in the West, the Phoenix Suns jumped to an early 1-0 series lead with yesterday’s 120–114 win over the LA Clippers. Of note: both squads were missing key players, as Suns guard Chris Paul remains in COVID-19 protocol and Clippers star Kawhi Leonard is sidelined indefinitely with a knee injury.
- With Game 2 set for tomorrow at 9 p.m. ET, it’s still TBD whether either will return to the floor in time. Watch this space.
New York City: Islanders Look to Take Game 5 Over Lightning in Stanley Cup Playoffs
🏒Islanders: The Isles have grit galore, and it was on full display in their over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday. Our boys headed into the third period with a 3–0 lead, but the Lightning struck back, quickly notching two goals and hungry for the equalizer.
- Enter: Ryan Pulock. In the frenzied final seconds of the game, the defenseman made to stop a buzzer-beater and seal the win. .
- As they return to Tampa, the Isles need to keep the intensity up and build an early lead over the Lightning. Puck drops on Game 5 tonight at 8 p.m. ET. See you at ?
🏀Nets: The Nets’ buzzer-beater story didn’t have as happy an ending. The finalé of their series with the Milwaukee Bucks was absolutely wild, with the two heavyweights of the Eastern Conference going blow-for-blow ’til the bitter end. Kevin Durant , sinking an that instead sent the teams to OT. Our hearts are still pounding.
- But you can only hit so many in one night; without much help (read: ) from his bench, KD and the squad fell to the Milwaukee Bucks in a Game 7 heartbreaker.
- While we’re enjoying #hotgirlsummer, we hope the injury-plagued Nets get some R&R. The Big 3 barely played together, but they gave us of what we hope to see . KD, if we catch you poolside, drinks are on us.
Philadelphia: Sixers Head into the Offseason After Disappointing Game 7
🏀Sixers: From Joel Embiid and Tobias Harris’ to Hawks star Trae Young’s shooting struggles, the Wells Fargo Center was crackling with confidence last night. Though the teams were neck-and-neck through the whole game, we thought that No. 1-seed swag would help pull our Sixers through and seal them a spot in the Eastern Conference finals.
- But sloppy play, 17 turnovers (yeesh), an unexpectedly good game from Hawks guard and a disappointingly ineffective Ben Simmons let the Hawks steal this one .
- As the Sixers head into the offseason, Simmons may feel a on his back. We think president of operations Daryl Morey will do whatever it takes to keep Embiid around — and that might mean under that salary cap.
Sports Quick Hits: June 21st, 2021
⛳️Golf: Spaniard Jon Rahm won his first major yesterday, the U.S. Open, with a 6-under-par score, beating out the likes of Louis Oosthuizen (pronounced OOST-hay-zen), Brooks Koepka (pronounced KEP-ka) and Rory McIlroy. Not a bad way to spend your .
🏒NHL: Things are all tied up over in the Stanley Cup semifinals, with both series — Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders and Montreal Canadiens vs. Vegas Golden Knights — tied at 2-2. TikTokers aren’t the only ones with .
🏎F1: Red Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen found his wings during the second-last lap of yesterday’s French Grand Prix, when he passed reigning champ Lewis Hamilton and won his third race of the season. Next up is a double-header in Austria, where the W Series season is also set to start (more about that Saturday *wink wink*).