New York City: Islanders Look to Take Game 5 Over Lightning in Stanley Cup Playoffs
🏒Islanders: The Isles have grit galore, and it was on full display in their over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday. Our boys headed into the third period with a 3–0 lead, but the Lightning struck back, quickly notching two goals and hungry for the equalizer.
- Enter: Ryan Pulock. In the frenzied final seconds of the game, the defenseman made to stop a buzzer-beater and seal the win. .
- As they return to Tampa, the Isles need to keep the intensity up and build an early lead over the Lightning. Puck drops on Game 5 tonight at 8 p.m. ET. See you at ?
🏀Nets: The Nets’ buzzer-beater story didn’t have as happy an ending. The finalé of their series with the Milwaukee Bucks was absolutely wild, with the two heavyweights of the Eastern Conference going blow-for-blow ’til the bitter end. Kevin Durant , sinking an that instead sent the teams to OT. Our hearts are still pounding.
- But you can only hit so many in one night; without much help (read: ) from his bench, KD and the squad fell to the Milwaukee Bucks in a Game 7 heartbreaker.
- While we’re enjoying #hotgirlsummer, we hope the injury-plagued Nets get some R&R. The Big 3 barely played together, but they gave us of what we hope to see . KD, if we catch you poolside, drinks are on us.
Sports Quick Hits: June 21st, 2021
⛳️Golf: Spaniard Jon Rahm won his first major yesterday, the U.S. Open, with a 6-under-par score, beating out the likes of Louis Oosthuizen (pronounced OOST-hay-zen), Brooks Koepka (pronounced KEP-ka) and Rory McIlroy. Not a bad way to spend your .
🏒NHL: Things are all tied up over in the Stanley Cup semifinals, with both series — Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders and Montreal Canadiens vs. Vegas Golden Knights — tied at 2-2. TikTokers aren’t the only ones with .
🏎F1: Red Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen found his wings during the second-last lap of yesterday’s French Grand Prix, when he passed reigning champ Lewis Hamilton and won his third race of the season. Next up is a double-header in Austria, where the W Series season is also set to start (more about that Saturday *wink wink*).
New York City: Net's Superstar Lineup Look to Dominate in Game 6
- James Harden on Tuesday, but Kyrie Irving will miss a second game due to an ankle injury. At least he’s getting lots of to lift his spirits. S’cute.
- In Irving’s absence and with a fresh target on Durant’s back, the Nets’ supporting cast, like and , need to pick up their scoring to match their regular season performances. See if the superteam can pull it off tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET.
🏒Islanders: Over on the ice, the Tampa Bay Lightning evened up the series, defeating the Islanders in Game 2 on Tuesday. A positive? The Isles held their own, and Mathew Barzal scored his in the last six games.
- Returning to the Coliseum 1-1 against the defending champs is v. impressive. As long as the Isles can keep the Bolts’ lethal power plays at bay, they’ll have a good shot to take Game 3 tonight at 8 p.m. ET.
New York City: Kyrie Irving Twists Ankle
🏀Nets: The Nets not only lost to the Milwaukee Bucks yesterday, but they also lost star Kyrie Irving to a twisted ankle in the second quarter. Irving didn’t return to the court, but he will be today. Yikes.
- Although Kevin Durant still shone with 28 points and 13 rebounds, losing another third of the Big Three (with James Harden ) allowed the Bucks to take advantage.
- The tied series returns to the Barclays Center for Game 5 tomorrow. Time to make some noise, Brooklyn!
🏒Islanders: After a scoreless first period in yesterday’s Game 1 of the Stanley Cup semifinals, Isle Mathew Barzal found the back of the net in the second (with the puck and then ) to give New York the lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning. Comin’ in hot.
- Then in the third, Ryan Pulock’s beautiful doubled the Isles’ lead, and although the Bolts were able to get one past goalie Semyon Varlamov, New York held onto the lead to win 2–1. ?
🏀Liberty: The Liberty put an end to their three-game losing skid, beating the Phoenix Mercury 85–83 last night. Betnijah Laney carried the team with 23 points and 10 assists in the absence of star Sabrina Ionescu, who was sidelined due to in the ankle she had surgery on last year. You win some, you lose some.
Boston: Red Sox Struggle Against Toronto Blue Jays
⚾️Red Sox: Boston’s pitching struggled in their 7–2 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays on Saturday and things only got worse from there, as they fell 18–4 to the Jays yesterday. Hey, we thought this was baseball, not football? Hopefully pitcher Nathan Eovaldi will have better luck tonight in the final game of the series, starting at 7:10 p.m. ET.
- Off the field, beloved broadcaster and former Red Sox second baseman Jerry Remy, who is , gave us a scare on Friday when he left the booth with shortness of breath. Thankfully, he’s now “resting comfortably” at Mass General. Get well soon, Rem Dawg!