Dallas: Wings Player Selected to Represent Team USA
🏀Wings: After Tuesday’s disappointing 80–70 loss to the Connecticut Sun, the Wings faithful had something to cheer about yesterday when to represent Team USA in women’s 3x3 basketball’s Olympic debut. See you in Tokyo.
- Hopefully that positive energy carries over into tonight’s 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT tilt with the Indiana Fever, who...only have one win this season. Let’s keep it that way.
⚾️Baseball: The Rangers took a 2-1 series lead over the Oakland Athletics with yesterday’s 5–3 win. HYFR. The fourth and final game of the series is today at 2:05 p.m. ET/1:05 p.m. CT, followed by No. 2 Texas squaring off with Virginia at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT in a College World Series elimination game. Hook ’em, Horns!
Chicago: White Sox Break Losing Streak with a Win Against Pirates
⚾️MLB: The White Sox ended their five-game losing streak with yesterday’s win over the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Sox were strong and steady, holding their lead throughout with three different players earning . They also held onto their top divisional spot, and fans let out a sigh of relief.
- Meanwhile, the Cubs with Cleveland this week. They'll begin a three-game series against the LA Dodgers tonight at 10:10 p.m. ET/9:10 p.m. CT. Go, Cubs, go!
🏀Sky: The Sky earned their sixth straight win on Tuesday, beating the NY Liberty on the strength of Candace Parker’s 23 points and 13 rebounds. Let’s see if the squad can make it seven in their rematch against the Liberty tonight at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT.
🏀Bulls: The Bulls snagged the eighth overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft thanks to Tuesday’s , but unfortunately their trade earlier this season for Nikola Vučević required Chicago to to the Orlando Magic. Rebuilding? Rebuilding.
Seattle: Basketball Olympics Teams Stacked with Storm Players
⚽️OL Reign: To no surprise, Megan Rapinoe and Rose Lavelle headline the U.S. Olympic squad. We’ll also see an OL Reign athlete on Team Canada: Quinn was named to their second Olympics and will be one of the few openly trans athletes to compete at the Games. Proud.
- The Reign’s match on Saturday at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT against NJ/NY Gotham FC will likely be the last NWSL action for ’Pinoe and Rose before the USWNT Send-Off Series starts on July 1st. It’ll () be a hot one.
- Katie Lou Samuelson is also Tokyo-bound, but as part of the instead.
- Adding it all up, half of the Storm’s roster are Olympians: four Americans and . Yes, the defending WNBA champs are stacked, but we already knew that.
🏃♂️Track & Field: Ah, steeplechase, track & field’s closest cousin to . Allie Ostrander from the Seattle-based ’ pro team will race in the 3000m steeplechase final of the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials at 11:47 p.m. ET/8:47 p.m. PT tonight.
🏀NBA Conference Finals have Officially Begun
Eastern Conference: The Milwaukee Bucks overcame Brooklyn Net Kevin Durant’s (including to send things to overtime) to win Saturday’s Game 7. The Bucks will now appear in their first conference finals since 2019 and are potentially en route to ending a 47-year (!!!) finals appearance drought.
- To get there, they’ll have to defeat the Atlanta Hawks, who eliminated the Philadelphia 76ers with yesterday’s 103–96 Game 7 win. was the difference maker, leading the Hawks with 27 points...just like we all predicted?
Western Conference: Over in the West, the Phoenix Suns jumped to an early 1-0 series lead with yesterday’s 120–114 win over the LA Clippers. Of note: both squads were missing key players, as Suns guard Chris Paul remains in COVID-19 protocol and Clippers star Kawhi Leonard is sidelined indefinitely with a knee injury.
- With Game 2 set for tomorrow at 9 p.m. ET, it’s still TBD whether either will return to the floor in time. Watch this space.
U.S. Olympic Swimming and Track & Field Teams Take Shape
🏊♀️Swimming: After a week of qualifying action, the Olympic swimming team is set. To no one’s surprise, mermaid Katie Ledecky will compete in four events, including the debut of the 1500m women’s freestyle.
- She’ll be joined by Simone Manuel, who won yesterday’s 50m freestyle after an unexpected loss in the 100m freestyle. Don’t call it a comeback. In other news, for Ryan Lochte.
🏃♂️Track & Field: We’re only three days in to the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, and have been set and . And even though yesterday was Father’s Day, it was a mom who stole the show: Allyson Felix made her fifth Olympic team, finishing second in the 400m. A national treasure.