Chicago: Build me up, buttercup
⚾️Sox: After the White Sox scored six runs on the Cleveland Indians in the first inning, Chicago pitcher Carlos Rodón — who barely made the starting rotation this season — decided to have himself a day and went on to throw a no-hitter and . The South Siders beat Cleveland 8–0, and left us all wondering...?
Cubs: Being a Cubs fan is like being in a toxic relationship: they get your hopes up just to tear them down. On Tuesday, the Cubs beat their rival Milwaukee Brewers when Chi-town catcher Willson Contreras — who was hit by Brewer pitches in seven of the teams’ last 14 meetings — in the eighth inning, . Drama.
- But, in this relationship, things never last: the Cubbies lost 7–0 last night to close out the series 1-2. You win some, you .
🏐Notre Dame: The Fighting Irish women’s volleyball team beat the Army Black Knights in the NCAA Tournament’s Round of 64 yesterday. The Irish defense stole the show, racking up 17 blocks and keeping the Knights to a .006 . Straight up embarrassing.
- The No. 22 Irish face the No. 10 Oregon Ducks in the Round of 32 at 12 p.m. ET/11 a.m. CT today. Survive and advance, baby!
D.C.: East, west, home’s best
⚾️Baseball: The Nationals won a series for the first time this season, taking two of three games from the St. Louis Cardinals. Yesterday’s 6–0 shutout featured pitcher Joe Ross throwing six scoreless innings and himself, Ryan Zimmerman, hitting a .
- See if those can keep working when the Nats take on the Arizona Diamondbacks tonight at 7:05 p.m. ET.
⚽️Soccer: and the Spirit are back home at Audi Field for tonight’s 7 p.m. ET Challenge Cup match against expansion team Racing Louisville FC. After forward Trinity Rodman’s last week, we can’t wait to see what else she has up her
LA: Stick the landing
🎓🤸♀️Gymnastics: For the first time since 2006, UCLA didn’t qualify to NCAA Championships, but three gymnasts will represent the Bruins at nationals. Nia Dennis, Margzetta Frazier and Chae Campbell will compete for individual titles in tomorrow’s 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT semifinal.
- Dennis and Frazier are competing on vault and uneven bars, respectively, so we won’t see either of their floor routines. Bummer.
- Campbell, on the other hand, will compete in the all-around and with the LSU Tigers, who are so pumped that they’ve to do on the sideline. S’cute.
🏀Basketball: Limited fans are back for tonight’s edition of the Lakers’ historic rivalry with the Boston Celtics. However, the talk of the town isn’t about seeing the defending champs in person, but instead Staples Center’s . Who approved this?
- Moving onto better choices, we’re starry-eyed over the Sparks’ . And while the WNBA season’s still a month away, tap in tonight to see who the Sparks select with the seventh and 10th overall draft picks.
New York: Get it while it’s good
⚽️Gotham FC: The newly rebranded Gotham FC beat the Orlando Pride 1–0 in their first match of the NWSL Challenge Cup last night. It was scoreless until the 80th minute, when Gotham forward Paige Monaghan channelled her inner hero and off an assist from forward Ifeoma Onumonu. Undefeated in the new .
- The Liberty have the No. 6 overall pick in tonight’s draft, and we’re expecting them to select a tall forward like Alabama’s or Oklahoma State’s to fill out the lineup. Dream team.
Knicks: After Monday’s against the LA Lakers, the Knicks stayed hot against the New Orleans Pelicans, beating them 116–106. Julius Randle led the team with 30 points, followed by shooting guard Alec Burks — whose recent has fueled the Knicks’ offense as of late — with 21. A winning Knicks team: who is she?
Philadelphia: Bop to the top
⚽️Union: After beating Deportivo Saprissa in last night’s second leg (aka match) of the Round of 16, the Union are off to the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals. The quarters will begin in two weeks, but first, the Union will have to face Columbus Crew FC in their MLS season opener on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. ET. Never too much fútbol.
🏀Sixers: The Sixers beat the Brooklyn Nets, who were short-staffed without Kevin Durant and James Harden, last night. Joel Embiid led with a staggering 39 points, showing us that he is fully back and vying for that .
- This was a win for the Sixers, who, before this game, were tied with the Nets for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. Buh-bye, !
🏐Nittany Lions: Thanks to a first-round bye, the No. 13 Penn State women’s volleyball will open the NCAA Tournament against the N.C. A&T Aggies in the Round of 32 tonight at 10:30 p.m. ET. The road to an eighth National Championship starts now!