Chicago: Gabby Williams traded after suspension
🏀Sky: The Sky for the 2021 season (for salary reasons, not disciplinary ones), then traded her to the LA Sparks in a move that surprised everyone — including Williams. The Sky’s 2018 first-round pick is a reliable power forward who will likely play for France at the Tokyo Olympics.
- The Sky, already undermanned due to their , couldn’t risk Williams missing the bulk of their season for overseas commitments, so they suspended her contract, then . No official comment from Williams, but her Twitter makes her seem….
- In exchange, the Sky snagged this year’s No. 10 overall pick, , as well as to Leonie Fiebich. We’re sad to see Williams go but are excited about this fresh young talent.
⚾️MLB: The Cubs may have lost 6–5 to the Pittsburgh Pirates yesterday, but we’re still psyched because Beth Mowins made herstory as the first female broadcaster of a regular season Cubs game. on us next time, Beth!
- Meanwhile, the surging Sox the Kansas City Royals, allowing only four runs in the three-game series. Let’s see if they can keep things going against the Minnesota Twins this week, starting tomorrow night at 8:10 p.m. ET/7:10 p.m. CT.
🏒Blackhawks: The ’Hawks missed the playoffs for the third time in the last four years. Welp. Catch them one last time before they hit the golf course when they host the Dallas Stars tonight at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT.
New York: Knicks and Nets on the road
🏀Knicks: Everyone — and we mean — is loving this Knicks team right now. With their victory over the LA Clippers yesterday, our beloved Knickerbockers will return to the Garden having won at least half of the games on their trip out West.
- If they can beat the LA Lakers tomorrow at 10 p.m. ET, the Knicks will be even closer to in the Eastern Conference and avoiding the . .
🏀Nets: The Nets toughed it out against the Denver Nuggets on Saturday, winning 125–119 and ending their four-game skid. This one came down to the wire, with the Nets overcoming a 21-point deficit in the fourth to take their first lead since the start of the game. The cherry on top? Keep an eye out for a soon. *crosses fingers*
⚾️MLB: Despite some confusing (apparently the boys don’t know the difference between ), the Mets shone in their sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks this weekend. They’ll ride their five-game win streak into a two-game series versus the Baltimore Orioles, starting tomorrow at 7:10 p.m. ET.
- Meanwhile, thanks to Giancarlo Stanton’s bottom-of-the-ninth , the Yankees captured two this weekend against the Washington Nationals. Next up, the Yanks will face the Tampa Bay Rays tomorrow at 7:10 p.m. ET.
🏒Rangers: The Rangers wrapped up their season in Boston this weekend, beating the Bruins 5–4 on Saturday. Unfortunately, the Broadway Blueshirts will be watching the Stanley Cup playoffs on the couch with the rest of us. At least one New York hockey team is .
Philadelphia: 76ers win over Pistons
🏀76ers: The 76ers made it look all too easy this weekend in their over the Detroit Pistons. As expected, Joel Embiid led the squad with 29 points and six rebounds. Pleasantly surprising? Outstanding play from rookie Tyrese Maxey, who usually rides the bench but to start for Ben Simmons, who was out with back tightness.
- Maxey had 22 points, five rebounds, two steals and one block on the evening, earning from Embiid and Dwight Howard (who also ).
- The Sixers have won eight straight and hold a comfortable three-game lead for the top spot in the East. !
⚾️Phillies: The Phillies closed out their three-game series in Atlanta tonight, falling to the Braves 6–1. Between Friday’s 12–2 blowout win and Saturday’s humiliating loss with , we feel like we have .
- Hopefully the Phils can get back on the horse in their upcoming series with the Washington Nationals this week, starting tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. ET.
Hanging it up:
- 🏒The Flyers missed the playoffs for the fifth time in the last nine years. Womp. Catch them one last time before they hit the golf course when they host the New Jersey Devils tonight at 7 p.m. ET.
🎓⚽️ The Penn State men’s soccer team couldn’t overcome Georgetown’s early lead in the third round of the NCAA tournament on Thursday, losing 3–2. Bummed, but proud.
Seattle: Chaos in Cascadia
⚽️Soccer: The Sounders remain undefeated this season after beating their archrival Portland Timbers 2–1 yesterday. The wildest part of yesterday’s win? This in the 56th minute. Goalkeeper Stefan Frei saved Portland captain Diego Valeri’s initial PK, but video review ruled that Frei had come off his line early and Valeri was granted a retry.
- You’d think he’d score the second time, but no, Valeri missed again. Of course, it was a momentum shifter, and the Sounders took the lead with a 63rd minute . !
- Want more soccer? You’re in luck: the No. 7 UW men face off against No. 2 Pitt in the Elite Eight today at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT.
Seahawks Track: Seahawk wide receiver DK Metcalf held his own in his brief foray into pro track & field. At yesterday’s USATF Golden Games and Distance Open, he clocked in at in his preliminary heat of the 100-meter dash. Huge props.
- Although he ran faster than many expected, he still finished dead last in his heat. Stick to football, DK.
⚾️Mariners: The Mariners beat the Texas Rangers on Friday...then lost two straight and dropped the series. Womp. To make matters worse, the injuries keep piling up: Ljay Newsome is the added to the injured list after exiting Saturday’s game with elbow inflammation.
And while the M’s offense has picked up a bit lately, it could use a boost. With top prospect Jarred Kelenic (pronounced KELL-nick) in the minor leagues, maybe it’s time for him to finally make his major league debut?
LA: USC win NCAA volleyball title
🎓🏐Beach volleyball: Death, taxes and USC battling UCLA for the NCAA beach volleyball championship. The Trojans won their third NCAA title yesterday, dethroning their crosstown rivals in the process. How sweet it is.
- Hooked on beach volleyball now? Same. Lucky for us, Tina Graudina (half of USC’s No. 1 pair) is set to compete at the Tokyo Olympics as part of the to ever qualify for the Games. Can’t wait.
🏀Lakers: The extremely dinged-up Lakers managed to beat the second-in-the-West Phoenix Suns 123–110 last night. But the win didn’t change the standings: with four games remaining, the Lakers are still stuck in seventh and for the play-in tournament. Ugh.
Sparks: The Sparks made moves ahead of Friday’s season opener, acquiring Gabby Williams from the Chicago Sky yesterday. However, Williams won’t suit up for LA this season, even after she likely plays for France at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Chicago put her on the (for salary reasons, not disciplinary), so she can’t play in the WNBA at all in 2021. Thanks a lot, Chi-town.