Chicago: Notre Dame Baseball Advance to NCAA Super Regional
🎓⚾️Notre Dame: For the first time since 2002, the Fighting Irish baseball team is heading to the NCAA Super Regional after beating Central Michigan 14–2 yesterday. Senior infielder Niko Kavadas captured an Irish record after smashing his of the season. Damn.
- Notre Dame’s bats are hot-hot-hot, and we can’t wait to see them continue against the winner of the which will be decided today. Go Irish, beat (insert team here)!
⚾️MLB: The White Sox the Detroit Tigers 3–0 yesterday to earn their third win of the four-game weekend series. The Sox were carried by their second inning and pitcher Dylan Cease’s scoreless . And also, Yermín Mercedes’ new .
- After suffering three losses at the hands of the San Francisco Giants, the Cubs won the final game in the teams’ series thanks to two home runs by Patrick Wisdom, the North Siders’ newest . We love having you in Wrigleyville, Pat.
Seattle: Storm Look for Success on the Road Starting June 9th
🏀Storm: Every matchup between the Storm and the Dallas Wings goes down to the wire. Jewell Loyd to beat Dallas in overtime on Friday, but the Wings exacted revenge yesterday, with Dallas’ Arike Ogunbowale (pronounced ah-REE-kay oh-goon-boh-WAH-lay) delivering the to take it 68–67. Tough.
- Next, the Storm will embark on a five-game road trip, facing the Atlanta Dream first on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT.
⚽️OL Reign: In the battle of the teams with , the Reign on their chances and lost to NJ/NY Gotham FC 1–0 on Saturday. USWNT star Rose Lavelle has yet to win a game with the Reign since joining the squad last week, but with , it’s bound to happen soon.
⚾️Mariners: The Mariners’ offense came through in the ninth inning, securing a 9–5 victory yesterday over the LA Angels to split the four-game series. Rookie pitcher Logan Gilbert earned his first major league , throwing seven strikeouts. Welcome to the show.
Sports Quick Hits: June 7th, 2021
⛳️Golf: With a and a , we definitely thought the U.S. Women’s Open winner was going to be a ...but instead, it was Yuka Saso of the Philippines — at the ripe old age of 19 — who won it all in a three-hole , in tournament history. The kids are alright.
🎾Tennis: There go the greats. Serena Williams lost her fourth round match at the French Open yesterday, and Roger Federer, who just came back from a knee injury, after a grueling third round, four-set winner on Saturday. We weren’t ready for goodbyes.
- Some exciting names are still in it though: 17-year-old , and reigning champ Iga Swiatek (pronounced shvee-AH-tik), as well as legends Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, all play today. Check out the full schedule .
⚽️NWSL: The Orlando Pride celebrated the start of Pride Month by continuing their undefeated season yesterday, with a 1–1 draw against the Washington Spirit. The zero-to-hero Pride also continue to , after spending the last two seasons near the bottom. The whole league now gets and will return to the pitch June 19th.
Los Angeles: Clippers Hope to Shine in Round 2 of NBA Playoffs
- Kawhi Leonard almost collected a , while Reggie Jackson and Marcus Morris late in the fourth quarter. We .
- The Clips face the Jazz in Utah for Game 1 tomorrow at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. No rest for the wicked.
🏀Sparks: Although both Ogwumike (pronounced oh-gwoo-MIH-kay) sisters are , Erica Wheeler stepped up with a season-high 22 points in the Sparks’ 68–63 victory over the Chicago Sky on Saturday. LA’s defense was stellar as well, with Amanda Zahui B.’s (pronounced ZAH-wee BEE) four blocks and Nia Coffey’s down the stretch. Bam.
🎓🥎UCLA: Despite an early, from pitcher Rachel Garcia, the defending champs UCLA were eliminated from the WCWS by No. 1 Oklahoma on Saturday. Not how we wanted to see one of the end her collegiate career.
- Garcia and Bubba Nickles will trade in the blue and gold for the red, white and blue when they join Team USA at the Tokyo Olympics next month.
New York: Islanders Head into Tonight's Match Looking to Earn First Series Lead
🏀Nets: Even though the Nets took home a solid Game 1 win over the Bucks, fans aren’t getting too comfortable. The Bucks, led by All-Star (pronounced YA-niss ah-dedo-KOON-bo), struggled to score on Saturday, especially from the three-point arc, making only six of their 30 attempts. Yikes.
- The Bucks will likely in Game 2, while the Nets will be after he re-injured the hamstring he’s struggled with all season. It’s not clear if/when he’ll return, but he’s definitely sidelined for tonight’s 7:30 p.m. ET game.
🏒Islanders: The Islanders evened out their second-round series against the Boston Bruins with their on Saturday. After suffering a nasty from Bruins forward David Krejčí, Matt Barzal got his revenge by scoring the Isles’ . Satisfying.
- Tonight’s game is crucial as the teams return to Boston, where the Isles will look to earn their first lead of the series. Puck drops at 6:30 p.m. ET.
⚾️Yankees: To top off a week of Yankee drama, including speculation of Gerrit Cole’s potential use of , Giancarlo Stanton’s and , and Aaron Boone’s , the Boston Red Sox swept our pinstripes with yesterday's . Get your sh!t together, Yanks!