Chicago: One too many QB1s
🏈Bears: After years (and and and ) of disappointing quarterbacks, the Monsters of the Midway might finally have a star under center. General manager Ryan Pace made what some are calling the steal of the draft, to pick former Ohio State quarterback (QB) Justin Fields 11th overall. We are .
- Fields is coming off a stellar career at Ohio State, having led the Buckeyes to the earlier this year. Known for his accuracy — especially when throwing on the move — and his run game, we’re just as excited to have him in the Windy City.
- is Andy Dalton, the veteran QB the Bears acquired on a one-year contract in March, who was under the impression he’d be . *wink wink*
- Drama aside, the Cubs dropped two games against the Reds and fell to last place in the in the process. Fewer fireworks, more results, please.
⚾️White Sox: The Reds aren’t quite done with Chicago teams yet, though: they’re hosting the hot-and-cold White Sox tomorrow and Wednesday. Let’s hope the South Siders can do better against the Reds after going one-for-three against Cleveland this weekend.
Dallas: Party like a rockstar
🏈Cowboys: After seeing last season’s in action, the ’Boys decided it was time for a change, drafting eight defensive players with their . Former Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons is the star of the bunch and although the season doesn’t start ’til September, the rumblings have already started.
🏀Mavericks: Luka Doncic joined a very exclusive club on Saturday. His 31 points, 20 assists and 12 rebounds lifted the Mavs to a 125–124 win over the Washington Wizards and made Doncic just the ever to notch a 30-point, 20-assist .
- Luka continued being Luka last night, pouring in 30 points, but the Mavs saw their three-game win streak snapped by a 111–99 loss to the Sacramento Kings. Let’s see if Luka can tomorrow at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT vs. the Miami Heat.
⚾️Rangers: Second baseman Brock Holt belted the against his old team yesterday, lifting the Rangers to a comeback 5–3 victory and the 3-1 series win over the Boston Red Sox. Time to party like a
Brockrockstar. The Rangers will ride that winning energy into tonight’s 7:40 p.m. ET/6:40 p.m. CT battle with the Minnesota Twins.
🏒Stars: Yeah, the Stars picked up a point in Saturday’s 1–0 OT loss to the Nashville Predators, but that won’t help them catch the Preds in the . Fifth-place Dallas is still on the outside looking in with just five games remaining. Here’s to a strong final push, beginning tonight at 7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT vs. the Florida Panthers.
Boston: Full speed ahead
🏈Patriots: We’re strolling into Monday like former Alabama QB Mac Jones to grab his new jersey Thursday night. The Pats selected Jones with the 15th pick and continued to roll with the Tide in the second round, taking defensive tackle Christian Barmore with the 38th pick. After those great selections, .
🏀Celtics: On Friday, Jayson Tatum tied some guy named ’s record for most points scored by a Celtic with his 60-point performance. . And he followed it up with a 33-point showing yesterday, but it wasn’t quite enough for the C’s as they fell 129–119 to the Portland Trail Blazers.
- The Celtics will have two much-needed days to regroup before Wednesday’s 7 p.m. ET matchup with the Orlando Magic. Playoff push, baby.
🏒Bruins: Thanks to two back-to-back wins over the Buffalo Sabres, the Bruins are now just of clinching the final playoff spot in the East Division. A win or OT loss tonight at 7 p.m. ET against the New Jersey Devils will seal the deal and send the B’s to their fifth consecutive postseason. We’re coming for you, .
⚾️Red Sox: The Sox had a tough showing in Texas, falling 5–3 to the Rangers yesterday and dropping the series 3-1. They’re off today before heading back to Fenway for a three-game set with the Detroit Tigers, beginning tomorrow at 7:10 p.m. ET. Here’s hoping designated hitter J.D. Martinez , especially against his old club.
🏈NFL Draft Preview
The draft: The draft actually takes place over three days: the first round is tonight, the second and third tomorrow, and the last four on Saturday, totalling 259 picks over seven rounds. The draft is hosting a select number of fans and prospects in Cleveland, Ohio, and Commissioner Roger Goodell will kick it all off at 8 p.m. ET on ABC in the U.S. and TSN in Canada.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars sucked the most last season (sorry, not sorry), so they’ll pick first tonight, followed by the New York Jets and the San Francisco 49ers — all three of which are looking for a new quarterback (QB).
The top picks: It’s the year of the QB, and Trevor Lawrence leads them all. The (seriously, what conditioner does he use?) from Clemson is the overwhelming favorite to go first overall, and another four QBs could be selected tonight, too.
- BYU’s Zach Wilson, North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, Ohio State’s Justin Fields () and Alabama’s Mac Jones are all expected to be drafted today, with at least three going in the top 10.
- Either Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater, both offensive tackles, or tight end Kyle Pitts will likely be the highest non-QB pick, and let’s not forget wide receiver and winner .
Chicago: It’s going down
🏈Bears: Chicago traded their No. 20 pick in tonight’s draft to the NY Jets in return for the No. 23 and No. 86 picks. Many think that da Bears aren’t done trading yet, and if a player they’re interested in — say, a quarterback like — drops to a tradeable range, they’ll pounce.
- Otherwise, if the Bears stay at No. 23, we anticipate they’ll take a wide receiver (WR) like Minnesota’s . Chicago needs both a star QB and a talented WR, so we’ll take either one.
⚽️Soccer: The Loyola women’s soccer team lost to the Denver Pioneers in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Tuesday. Despite the loss, we’re excited that midfielder Abby Swanson’s goal marked the Ramblers’ first in their six NCAA tournament appearances. Call that herstory.
- On the professional side, the Red Stars closed out the Challenge Cup with a loss to the OL Reign on Tuesday. While Chicago out-shot their opponents throughout the tournament, they struggled to find the back of the net and finished without a win. Sigh.
🔢 Box scores:
- ⚾️The Cubs were blown out 10–0 in an Atlanta Braves beatdown last night. Sheesh. At least they with it.
- 🏀The Bulls also played last night, falling 113–94 to the hot-hot-hot New York Knicks. They’ll return to the court on Friday at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT to face the No. 3-in-the-East Milwaukee Bucks.
- ⚾️The White Sox lost 5–2 to the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday, and last night’s rematch was rescheduled to tonight’s doubleheader starting at 5:10 p.m. ET/4:10 p.m. CT.
- 🏒The Blackhawks lost 7–4 to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday and will return to the ice tonight against another Sunshine State team, the Florida Panthers, at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT.