NFL Week 10: Who let the underdogs out
The best part about the NFL is its complete and utter unpredictability.Even the best in the sports betting biz have off-weeks, and boy was Week 9 tough.
- That’s because seven underdogs covered the spread, including four who won their games outright: the NY Jets, Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions and Jacksonville Jaguars.
- The biggest surprise came when the Jets, a 10.5-point underdog, took down the Buffalo Bills, a top Super Bowl pick among fans and experts alike.
So after going 1-2 in Week 9 (woof), I’m betting on the underdogs to get me back above .500 to a winning record.
The key, of course, is determining which underdogs to choose.
- First up: the Seahawks, who are three-point ‘dogs (+3) to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their bright and early 9:30 a.m. ET game in Munich, Germany.
- Seattle quarterback (QB) Geno Smith is unexpectedly playing himself into the MVP conversation, leading his team to a 6–3 record. And while we often know better than to bet against Tom Brady, the Bucs have looked somewhere between Fine and terrible all season.
I’m pairing this pick with two other dark horses, the Jaguars (+9.5) and Pittsburgh Steelers (+1.5).
- The Jags will be in tough this week against the Kansas City Chiefs, but I’m expecting them to keep it closer than 9.5 points. This one’s for Florida Man, Jason Mendoza.
- Steelers rookie QB Kenny Pickett and coach Mike Tomlin should finally hit their groove coming out of a bye week. Team bonding is always a good bet.