Sports betting FAQs
How do odds work?
What’s a betting line?
- If the Toronto Raptors are favored by four points over the Brooklyn Nets, the line would be:
- Raptors -4
- Nets +4
What does it mean to 'cover the spread'?
A team that covers the spread means they won the point spread bet.
- To use the same example as the previous question, if the Raptors won by four or more points, they would cover the spread.
- However, if the Nets were to win or lose by less than four points, they would cover the spread.
The team that covers, is the team that wins the bet based on the betting line that is set by a sportsbook.
How does sports betting differ between sports?
- Each sport has its own rules and nuances. For example, a draw happens fairly often in soccer, so it’s a common betting option. However, it’s not available in sports like tennis or golf where there has to be a winner.
Can I bet with friends or compete against them?
How do I bet smart?
Ah, the million dollar question. Here’s the real tea. Even the BEST in the sports gambling biz only predict it right 50–60% of the time. Factor in the juice and avid sports bettors aren’t making as much money as they’d like you to believe.
- That said, there’s huge value in doing your research and paying attention to trends, player injuries, weather (seriously!) and other factors that could affect the game.
What’s a bankroll?
A bankroll is the money you can afford to lose on gambling. Everyone wants to win, but the reality of the situation is that you will win some and lose some — it’s the beauty of sports! Professional gamblers recommend setting a personal bankroll and never exceeding that limit.
How much should I bet?
What’s the best sport to bet on?
To us, the best sport to bet on is the one you enjoy watching the most.
Should I be concerned about gambling addiction?
Like most things in life, sports gambling should be enjoyed in moderation. While some make a career out of gambling, many are just looking for a little extra reason to cheer on the home team or watch a game.
- In sports, we often celebrate the unexpected — the Cinderella stories, the underdogs, the unlikely heroes. But for every winner, there’s a loser. It’s important to remember that and just have fun along the way.
- Friend of The GIST Dom Luszczyszyn, best known for his fantasy hockey and sports betting , wrote of the highs and lows of being an avid sports gambler.