Ready to make a major impact in leveling the playing field in sports? The GIST is looking for an expert communicator to curate and contextualize sports business news in The GIST’s signature, authentic, witty voice.
That’s right, The GIST is dipping our toes into the sports business waters, filling the white space in an industry that lacks women’s sports business coverage, ignores how business deals impact women athletes and too often fails to celebrate women in sports business and their impact.
In this role you will be working closely with The GIST’s content and co-founding team to drive our sports business strategy, and will be publishing content daily. Day-to-day you will work with a newsletter team to write (at minimum) a 3x-weekly newsletter and to produce daily social content. Audio and events-based production are also just around the corner.
You will have a major impact on all areas of the business — strong micro and macro sports business knowledge, the ability to cultivate connections/relationships and a thirst to break news stories are a must.
is a female-founded startup that creates sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized 4x-weekly newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the sports business content manager role:
Role: Full-time. Hours will include some evenings and weekends. That’s
showbiz sports, baby.
Reports into: Head of Content
Location: Remote / U.S.-based
- Working closely with The GIST’s content, growth and partnerships teams to drive and execute the sports business vertical’s strategy
- Writing and producing compelling and engaging newsletter, social media and audio-based content
- Strategizing and executing on growth and branded content
- Writing and publishing The GIST’s sports business newsletter 3x-weekly to The GIST’s editorial standards and in The GIST’s brand voice
- Sourcing, curating and reporting on sports business news
- Cultivating connections/relationships with key stakeholders to report on exclusive/breaking sports news
- Working closely with the newsletter team: head of content, managing editor, editor, fact-checker and newsletter operations
- Working closely with the advertorial team to publish/write/schedule partner content
Recording and insights
- Analyzing data to gain insights on newsletter effectiveness
- Suggest changes in content/strategy based on findings
- Leveraging data, audience feedback and your creativity to continually improve The GIST newsletter
- Working with content and social media team on sports business social strategy
- Launching sports business social media channels
- Producing daily social media content across select channels
- Interacting with GISTers across social and leveraging social feedback to influence other content channels
- Drive and execute strategy on sports business audio/webinar/events
- Opportunity to produce and/or host weekly sports business podcast and webinars
- Writing/communications experience of 4+ years
- Experience in sports, business or sports business is required
- Experience working with a brand voice is an asset
- Newsletter experience is an asset
- Undergraduate degree
- Degree in journalism, English, business (with writing-based electives/minors), sports media or a similar field is considered an asset
- A flexible schedule to work some evenings, because sports
- Proficiency in writing with the AP Stylebook
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills
- Strong journalistic integrity
- A strong understanding of and passion/intuition for sports, business and their intersection
- You are passionate and knowledgeable about sports, especially women’s sports.
- You’re on the pulse of sports business news, and like to geek out on it.
- You always know the most important news of the day.
- You have exceptional writing and communication skills, as well as the ability to execute editorial judgement.
- You love the big picture of news, but you also sweat the small stuff.
- You are obsessed with creating top-notch content for an audience.
- You understand the nuances of digital content.
- You’re witty, with a great sense of humor.
- You value teamwork and are collaborative and open-minded, while also being an effective independent worker.
- You’re a quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup environment.
- You have a can-do, solutions-oriented attitude.
- You are passionate about leveling the playing field in the sports industry.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of a female-founded, hard-working, growing and fun team that is changing the sports industry
- An opportunity to cover a wide variety of sports business news, across a variety of different channels
- Competitive salary and vacation
- Flexible hours
Picking up what we’re putting down? Here’s what’s next:
- Your one-page resume
- In the body of the email, in three sentences or less, let us know:
- Why you love sports business, especially the business of women’s sports.
- What unique experience you have that will make you an asset to this job.
- What are the three key things/processes to consider/go through before writing a story?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.