is a female-founded startup that is all about connecting and empowering underserved sports fans through sport. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all types of sports fans, mainly through our free, localized twice-weekly newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching in July 2018, we’ve grown our community to over 110,000 GISTers across North America, have worked with brands like DAZN, lululemon and various professional teams from the NHL and NBA, and our founding team has been named to .
As the GIST continues to grow across North America, we’re hiring a Social Media Intern to join our small but mighty team. If you’re a creative self-starter and a passionate sports fan with a can-do attitude, then this is the job for you.
Reporting to The GIST’s Head of Content and Social Media Manager, this position will help to develop our social media content strategy, will create and edit content for our organic social accounts and assist in improving content operations.
Note: This is a remote, unpaid, fall (September-December) internship/co-op role that will require 12-15 hours per week. That said, this can be a part-time or full-time role, depending on your schedule and whether you’re eligible for course credit. If your school has a co-op program or you’re eligible for course credit, we are happy to work with them to ensure we meet the requirements.
What you’ll be doing:
Social strategy & content creation
- Working closely with The GIST’s Social Media Manager and Head of Content to contribute and execute The GIST’s social media strategy and assist in managing the accounts
- Responsible for posting on social accounts (mainly Instagram) on weeknights and weekends
- Staying up-to-date on what’s going on in the sports world
- Selecting and understanding what sports content to post on each social media channel
- Maintain The GIST's brand voice among all content and channels
- Working with The GIST’s Content Team to develop monthly and weekly content calendars
- Creating and scheduling evergreen content
- Creating content that will drive audience growth
- Quickly solicit feedback and implement edits
- Staying connected to new opportunities, trends and platform changes to optimize social and content delivery
- Have the opportunity to further develop The GIST’s Tiktok and to join conversations as The GIST on Twitter
- Providing excellent customer service and conversation with our GISTers through IG DM’s, comments and Twitter threads
- Managing The GIST’s GISTfluencer Facebook community
- Commenting and interacting with other IG/FB accounts, athletes, etc.
- Tracking user feedback to stay on top of changes/ideas our GISTers are interested in and share/implement feedback accordingly
We’re looking for someone who is...
- An excellent communicator. Strong written communication skills are a must — you will be creating IG captions and tweets!
- A creative thinker
- The most digitally savvy person in their group of friends
- A passionate sports fan with a strong knowledge of all sports
- Strong sports news judgment
- A proactive self-starter and contributing team player. You can work on a team, but you’re also totally comfortable working independently.
- Cool as a cucumber under pressure
- You are excited to work in an environment that involves continual adaptation and change
- Passionate about The GIST’s brand and content
What you’ll need
- Enrolled as a student or recently graduated from an accredited college/university program in the semester prior to the internship
- Current undergrad or program in communications, film, media, graphic design, broadcasting, or equivalent is considered an asset
- Experience working in and knowledge of social media, including a strong understanding of trends and verbiage on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Tiktok
- Experience in working with a brand voice is an asset
- Experience working with all Adobe products (good understanding of Photoshop is needed to create engaging organic Instagram posts)
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
What we offer:
- Opportunity to learn and grow in a fast-growing, female-founded, sports media startup
- Ability to work closely alongside the social team
- Opportunity to make a positive social impact on the sports media industry
- Flexible hours
- Course credit if eligible
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
This is the fun part:
- Send us your resume.
- In the body of the email, let us know:
> Why you’re a great fit for this job
> One thing that we could do better on our socials
- Create an Instagram feed post for one of the three scenarios:
> Tom Brady opting out of the 2020 NFL season due to COVID-19 health concerns
> The Toronto Maple Leafs winning the 2020 Stanley Cup
> WNBA superstar Sue Bird announcing her retirement
- Write two potential Instagram captions for the post you designed
- Create a TikTok video for The GIST’s TikTok.
> Our TikTok is ever-evolving, so we want to see what you think is best suited for our page.
Send your resume, answers to our questions, and your creative to with the subject line “Fall Social Media Intern - Your Name” by 11:59pm ET on Friday, August 14th. Successful applicants will be made aware of the next steps.
More about The GIST
We started The GIST because as both casual and avid female fans, we often felt like we were left out of the sports conversation and community. The current sports media outlets made us feel like sports were only for an avid male sports fan. We wanted to change that because we think sports are, and should be, for everyone.
This problem stems from a major lack of diversity in the sports industry — only 14% of sports journalists are females, only 4% of sports media coverage is on female athletes, female athletes receive only 0.4% of endorsement money and less than 5% of c-suite executives in sport are women. So it’s really no wonder why sometimes sports can feel like a guys’ thing. The GIST exists to change these stats.
That’s #thegist of it. We can’t wait to read your resumes.