is a female-founded startup that is all about leveling the playing field. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized 3x-weekly newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the Social Media Associate role:
Role: 25 hours/week, 3-month contract. Intended to extend to seasonal employment for nine months/year (summers off during regular sports calendar)
Reports into: Social Media Manager, Head of Content
Location: Remote. Head office located in Toronto, ON.
- Creating compelling and engaging content across The GIST’s social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, Facebook)
- Retaining and growing followers across all social channels, while driving increase in newsletter subscribers and podcast listeners
- Support Social Media Manager and work closely with The GIST’s social team to drive and execute our social strategy
- Manage our social accounts:
- Creating fun, useful, engaging and innovative content that our current audience wants and needs and that will also drive audience growth
- Staying up-to-date on the sports and social world, selecting what content to post and how best to post it using The GIST’s brand voice
- Quickly assemble edits and implement notes/feedback
- Respond to/make creative for real-time sports moments
- Opportunity to support The GIST’s growth strategy by developing creative for paid social media advertising
- Work closely with the content team to improve content across all channels
- Provide excellent customer service and conversation with our GISTers through responding to comments and DMs
- Comment and interact with other IG and Twitter accounts
- Stay on top of changes/ideas our GISTers are communicating and share/implement accordingly
- Support Social Media Manager in recording data to gain insights on social media effectiveness.
- Make strategic decisions accordingly.
- Support partnerships team in recording paid partner data via social
- Opportunity to assist with wrap reports
- Digital content creation experience of at least 1-2 years is preferred
- Experience in a newsroom is considered an asset
- Experience in social media is considered an asset
- Experience in sports is considered an asset
- Experience working with a brand voice is an asset
- Undergraduate/college degree/diploma
- Degree or diploma in communications/media, journalism, sports management or a similar field is considered an asset
- Flexible availability and able to work weekends and nights
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects is an asset
- Ability to integrate existing and emerging digital trends and tools to enhance content
- Ability and willingness to work on deadline and handle multiple tasks at once with a precise and detail oriented approach
- You are a passionate and knowledgeable sports fan. You are the go-to for sports news in your group of friends.
- You are super creative and collaborative.
- You are obsessed with creating top-notch content for socials.
- You understand the nuances of each social media channel.
- You are a digitally savvy person.
- Strong writing and communication skills, as well as the ability to execute editorial judgment.
- You are cool as a cucumber under pressure.
- You value hard work and team work.
- You’re a quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup environment.
- You’re passionate about leveling the playing field.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of a female-founded, hard-working, growing and fun team that is looking to level the playing field in the sports industry.
- An opportunity to cover a wide variety of sports.
- An opportunity to grow with The GIST.
- Competitive wage and vacation.
- Flexible hours.
Picking up what we’re putting down? Here’s what’s next:
- Send us your one-page resume.
In the body of the email, let us know:
- What unique experience you have that makes you a great fit for this job
- One thing that we could do better on our socials
- The three key things to think about before posting a social media post.
- Attach an Instagram feed post for one of the three scenarios:
1) The Toronto Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup
2) WNBA superstar Sue Bird announcing her retirement
3) Simone Biles opting out of the Olympics
- Write two potential Instagram captions for the post you designed
Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.