is a women-founded (and Canadian!) startup that is all about leveling the playing field. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the regional content contributor role:
Role: Part-time (~12-15 hours/week), 3-month contract, with intention to extend.
- Regular hours are Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings (in ET)
Reports into: Head of Content (HOC)
Location: Remote, CA
Start date: ASAP
What you’ll be doing
- Writing Canadian and Canadian-city specific sections for the Monday, Wednesday & Friday edition of The GIST’s 4x-weekly newsletter in accordance with The GIST’s editorial standards and brand voice
- Region will also include some North-American-wide content
- When required, writing regional-specific sections for The GIST’s special edition newsletters
- Selecting which country/city-specific sports stories will be featured in the newsletter
- Working closely with The GIST’s HOC, fellow writers and editors, and national newsletter team
- Contributing creative ideas to continually improving The GIST
- Opportunity to contribute to other GIST content channels
- Opportunity to grow into a bigger role with The GIST
What you’ll need
- Writing/communications experience of at least two years
- Experience writing newsletters/short form content is an asset
- Experience writing in a brand voice is an asset
- Experience writing in a newsroom is an asset
- Undergraduate degree
- Degree in journalism, editing, english, communications, sports media or a similar field
- A flexible Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday night (in ET) schedule, because...sports
- Proficiency in writing with the American Style Guide
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills
- A strong understanding of and passion/intuition for sports
We’re looking for someone who...:
- Is calm as a cucumber under pressure and is able to react quickly to breaking news
- Is an avid sports fan who’s able to sift through the news and pick and provide context on the most important stories
- Is witty, with a great sense of humor
- Has strong journalistic integrity including fact-checking
- Has experience working toward a deadline, and can work quickly and efficiently
- Has a collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- Must value hard-work and teamwork
- Passionate about leveling the playing field in the sports industry
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
What we offer
- The opportunity to be part of a women-founded and operated, hard-working, growing and fun team that is looking to level the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to write about and cover a broad spectrum of sports and cities
- An opportunity to grow as a writer and into a larger role with The GIST
- Competitive wage
- Flexible vacation
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
Send us your resume as well as short, two sentence, GISTy answers to the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1st at 12noon ET. Please use the subject line “YOUR NAME - Canadian Content Contributor” when sending.
- Why will you be an asset to The GIST?
- What are the three most important things to consider when writing a newsletter?
- In reading our newsletters, are there any bigger picture changes to our content that you’d suggest?
Candidates with the most applicable answers and resumes based on the qualifications will be made aware of the next steps (spoiler alert: writing a newsletter). From there, select candidates will be interviewed on November 10th. Start date is ASAP.