The GIST is a female-founded sports startup that connects and empowers women through sport. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for women mainly through our free, localized twice-weekly newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice.
Since launching in July 2018, we’ve grown our community to over 110,000 GISTers across North America, have worked with brands like lululemon, Bumble, Molson Coors and various professional teams from the NHL and NBA, and have been named to .
We’re hiring a sales intern to join our small but mighty team to help us connect and work with awesome new brand partners. If you’re an organized self-starter with a can-do attitude, a great communicator and multi-tasker, who’s eager to learn and ready to roll-up their sleeves to get sh!t done, then this is the job for you.
Note: This is a remote, unpaid, fall (September-December) internship/co-op role. This can be a part-time or full-time role, depending on your schedule and whether you’re eligible for course credit. If your school has a co-op program or you’re eligible for course credit, we are happy to work with them to ensure we meet the requirements.
What you’ll be doing
Supporting the pre-sale business development process including:
- Researching and developing a pipeline of potential new partners
- Creating targeted prospect lists within this pipeline
- Conducting extensive outreach to prospective partners
- Researching and identifying key contacts
- Persistent cold emailing and communications to prospective partners
- Researching and assessing partner needs
- Tailoring outreach communications to each prospect accordingly
- Coordinating, prepping for and participating in sales appointments
- Researching prospective partners and preparing summaries to the sales team ahead of their calls
- Meeting or exceeding targets for outreach and sales calls booked
Ongoing additional tasks and responsibilities including:
- Developing relationships and becoming a trusted resource for prospective partners
- Collaborating with The GIST’s sales and content teams on sales approach and execution
- Assisting with account management to ensure timely execution of tasks
- Managing and maintaining The GIST’s CRM including keeping all contacts, opportunities and follow ups up to date
- Managing and maintaining all client-facing sales materials
- Providing support in additional areas and tasks as they arise (we are a startup!)
We’re looking for someone who is...
- Self-motivated. You love figuring things out on your own.
- A strong communicator and people person. You are an optimistic, positive relationship builder. You’re able to effectively communicate over email, video calls, or the phone and always maintain a high level of professionalism.
- Performance driven. You are results-oriented and have the desire to exceed targets.
- Hard working. You are diligent and have a desire to learn new skills and grow professionally. You meet deadlines.
- Detail-oriented. You are hyper-organized and love lists and spreadsheets.
- Curious and flexible. The idea of learning new things and working outside of your comfort zone is exciting to you. You also enjoy being a bit of a detective.
- Passionate about The GIST. You embody our entrepreneurial spirit and passion for our mission to level the playing field in sports.
What you’ll need
- Enrolled as a student in an accredited college/university program in the semester prior to the internship is preferred
- Current undergrad in business is considered an asset.
- Experience working in business development, sales, account management, or digital media is considered an asset.
- Highly proficient in all Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
What we offer
- Office located in downtown Toronto (if we are able to use it!).
- Flexible hours.
- Course credit if eligible.
- Opportunity to be part of a fast-growing, female-founded, hard-working team and work directly with the co-founders.
- Opportunity to grow into a larger role with The GIST.
- Opportunity to make a real impact: we are a small team and you will be a major part of it.
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
- Why are you the best fit for this role?
- Why do you want to work for The GIST?
- List three companies you think should advertise in The GIST.
- Scenario question: Let’s say you have the email address for the Chief Marketing Officer of your favourite brand. You have never met before. Write a short email pitch to the CMO explaining what The GIST is and how The GIST can help their brand. Your objective with this email is to secure a meeting.
Applications are due by 11:59pm ET on Friday, August 14th, 2020.
Thanks for applying! Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.