Want to support a women-operated startup in taking things to the next level? The GIST is looking for a passionate, curious and driven creative to help elevate The GIST’s brand.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to shape how The GIST is visually manifested across our website, email newsletters, social media, merch, and our sales and marketing materials.
The GIST is a female-founded startup that creates sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized 4x-weekly newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the Designer role:
Role: Part-time, 3-month contract. Intend to extend beyond three months. Potential to grow into a full-time role.
Reports into: Co-Founding Team
- Elevate The GIST brand across our various content, marketing and sales channels.
- Create clean, eye-catching and innovative designs across email, web and social that express the The GIST’s personality.
- Work closely with content and product leadership to ideate and build new brand identities.
- Help refresh and elevate The GIST’s brand, including exploring and selecting new colors, typography and elements to be used across our channels.
- Redesign The GIST newsletter and website and work closely with the social team to develop new templates.
- Redesign additional newsletters including lifecycle and promotional emails.
- Create differentiated designs for different newsletter types and content verticals including banners, headers, typography or elements.
- Design new sections of the newsletter & website on an ongoing basis.
- Create graphic designs for sponsored content.
- Work closely with engineering, operations and content teams to implement redesign.
- Create marketing assets to be used across growth channels such as paid social and newsletter advertising.
- Contribute to the brainstorming and concept development of new ad creatives.
- Assist with creation and design of sales materials and proposals including mockups of potential branded content
- Develop creative ideas for new merchandise concepts and create print-ready designs.
- Work closely with printing partner to ensure designs can be brought to life.
- 2+ years of experience working as a visual designer.
- Degree/diploma in graphic design or other related major/equivalent experience.
- Proven ability to apply and perform visual design skills, including drawing/sketching, typography, ideation, color theory, use of texture, spacing, and scale, visual presentation development and layout.
- Working knowledge of UX (including user research, usability testing, wireframes, sitemaps, analyzing user feedback and activity, etc.).
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to trends influencing design.
- Expert in design software such as Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Figma.
Who you are:
- You are a strong communicator, both verbally and through writing..
- You are a strategic, creative thinker with problem solving skills.
- Have a collaborative and communicative design process, from planning and mood-boarding to visual execution.
- You have the ability to work independently, working off the feedback from our team and audience.
- Excellent time management and ability to manage multiple projects.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of a female-founded, hard-working, growing and fun team that is looking to level the playing field in the sports industry.
- An opportunity to work across all functions of The GIST.
- An opportunity to grow your role with The GIST.
- An opportunity to report into and learn directly from our co-foundering team.
- Competitive wage.
Picking up what we’re putting down? Here’s what’s next:
- Your one-page resume
- Link to your past work/portfolio
- Some kind of creative asset that is GIST-related
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.