is a female-founded startup that is all about leveling the playing field in sports. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women mainly through our free, localized twice-weekly newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching in July 2018, we’ve grown our community to over 110,000 GISTers across North America, have worked with brands like Columbia University, Molson Coors and lululemon, and our founding team has been named to .
As The GIST continues to grow, we’re looking for a kick-ass Ad Copywriter to join our small but mighty team. Reporting to The GIST’s Head of Content and working closely with The GIST’s brand partners, partnerships team and ad editors, you’ll be responsible for writing compelling newsletter ad features for The GIST’s twice-weekly newsletter.
If you’re a great writer with the skill to write compelling copy in a brand voice, then this is the job for you.
Note: This is a three-month, part-time (~4-12 hours/week based on need) contract position. We intend for the contract to be extended.
What you’ll be doing:
- Writing compelling, succinct newsletter ad features in The GIST’s signature voice that will be published in The GIST’s Monday and Thursday twice-weekly newsletter
- Familiarizing yourself with brands, product, target market, value prop and competitors
- Becoming an expert on The GIST’s audience
- Using our brand guidelines to take on The GIST’s voice and personality when writing ad features
- Working efficiently to meet ad feature deadlines
- Working closely with and acting on feedback from The GIST’s brand partners
- Iterating on ad copy based on engagement numbers
- Working closely with and acting on feedback from The GIST’s Ad Editor and Head of Content
- Communicating with The GIST’s partnerships team and being flexible as engagements and messaging evolve
- Contributing ideas to continually improve The GIST’s product offering to brands
- Have the opportunity to grow into a larger role with The GIST, including, but not limited to, assisting with creating ad copy on all channels and other writing opportunities
Who you are:
- Motivated independent worker with a positive can-do attitude
- Creative and imaginative — the sky’s the limit!
- Multi-tasker who thrives in taking on multiple projects at once
- A GISTer first mindset, who seeks to create compelling copy that matters to them
- Customer-service oriented, who seeks to exceed expectations
- Your friends would say you’re funny, or even better, witty
- You’re up to speed on pop-culture and copywriting techniques
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
- Ability to work flexible hours with the energy and stamina to meet internal deadlines
- And you’re as cool as a cucumber while doing it
- Collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
What you’ll need:
- 2+ years of copywriting experience
- Diploma or undergraduate degree
- Diploma or degree in journalism, copywriting, english, communications, media, psychology, PR, etc. is considered an asset
- Experience in writing in a brand voice
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills
- Strong journalistic integrity
- Proficient with Google Suite
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Commercial awareness
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of a growing female-founded, hard-working and fun team that is working to level the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to grow into a larger role with The GIST
- Competitive wage
- Flexible hours and vacation
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
This is the fun part. Before we learn more about you, we want you to write three, less than 100-word, ad features for The GIST newsletter based on the following information:
Five bullets describing Threads:
- High-quality tights at an affordable price
- Subscription product or buy individually
- Thoughtfully designed by and for women
- Delivered right to your doorstep
- Female founded
There is no specific campaign that Threads is wanting to promote, Threads is wanting to get GISTers to try their tights
Call to action: Buy tights! GISTers receive 10% off with GISTxTHREADS promo code
Nothing specifically to avoid
Here are some tips for writing the ad copy:
- Get to know our audience by reading our newsletter and checking us out on socials
- Use recent newsletters as some sort of inspiration. But remember, they’re just a guideline. We want to get a sense of your personal flare and humor.
- Remember: these three ad features must be less than 100 words.
Thanks for applying! Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.